Featured Post

Classic Quotes from "Alice in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass"

“And what is the use of a book," thought Alice, "without pictures or conversations?”   “If I had a world of my own, eve...

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Helen Keller Quotes



Helen Keller is one of my favorite authors. I first discovered her unique story when I watched the movie, "The Miracle Worker". Born in 1880, Helen became blind and deaf at 19 months old from unknown causes. This made her unable to learn language through sight or sound. She grew into a wild, unruly child given to erratic tantrums, unable to properly communicate or fully comprehend or perceive the world around her. Her parents were desperate. In 1887, Helen's life changed, and her miracle arrived. Anne Sullivan, a young partially blind graduate from the Perkins School for the Blind came to be her teacher. She was successful in transforming Helen by giving her the gift of language, spelled into her hand, opening the door for her to identify feelings, objects, and sensations, and to express herself verbally. She was greatly admired by Mark Twain and Alexander Graham Bell. Helen Keller has inspired me through her beautiful, strong, witty, incredible spirit. Her story is an encouragement for anyone who has disabilities, no matter how mild or severe, to not give up on their dreams.

I hope you go check out her full biography, books, and the movie, if you would like to learn more! It's worth the read/watch. In the meantime, I hope you enjoy her quotes.



“You don't love someone for their looks, or their clothes, or for their fancy car, but because they sing a song only you can hear.” 


“Be of good cheer. Do not think of today's failures, but of the success that may come tomorrow. You have set yourselves a difficult task, but you will succeed if you persevere; and you will find a joy in overcoming obstacles. Remember, no effort that we make to attain something beautiful is ever lost.”



“What we once enjoyed and deeply loved we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us.” 



“Everything has its wonders, even darkness and silence, and I learn, whatever state I may be in, therein to be content”



“For three things I thank God every day of my life: thanks that he has vouchsafed me knowledge of his works; deep thanks that he has set in my darkness the lamp of faith; deep, deepest thanks that I have another life to look forward to--a life joyous with light and flowers and heavenly song.” 



“Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them; but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.”



“When we do the best that we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another.” 




“We can do anything we want as long as we stick to it long enough.”



“My friends have made the story of my life. In a thousand ways they have turned my limitations into beautiful privileges.” 



“I who am blind can give one hint to those who see: Use your eyes as if tomorrow you would be stricken blind. And the same method can be applied to the other senses. Hear the music of voices, the song of a bird, the mighty strains of an orchestra, as if you would be stricken deaf tomorrow. Touch each object as if tomorrow your tactile sense would fail. Smell the perfume of flowers, taste with relish each morsel, as if tomorrow you could never smell and taste again. make the most of every sense; glory in the beauty which the world in all the facets of pleasure reveals to you through the several means of contact which Nature provides. But of all the senses, I am sure that sight is the most delightful.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome!