Featured Post

Classic Quotes from "Alice in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass"

“And what is the use of a book," thought Alice, "without pictures or conversations?”   “If I had a world of my own, eve...

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Classic Quotes from "Alice in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass"


“And what is the use of a book," thought Alice, "without pictures or conversations?”  


“If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?” 


“'Do you know, I always thought unicorns were fabulous monsters, too? I never saw one alive before!'
'Well, now that we have seen each other,' said the unicorn, 'if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you.'"


“Mad Hatter: “Why is a raven like a writing-desk?”
“Have you guessed the riddle yet?” the Hatter said, turning to Alice again.
“No, I give it up,” Alice replied: “What’s the answer?”
“I haven’t the slightest idea,” said the Hatter” 


“One of the deep secrets of life is that all that is really worth the doing is what we do for others.”  


“I wonder if the snow loves the trees and fields, that it kisses them so gently? And then it covers them up snug, you know, with a white quilt; and perhaps it says "Go to sleep, darlings, till the summer comes again.” 


“Alice laughed. 'There's no use trying,' she said. 'One can't believe impossible things.'
'I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. 'When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.


 “If everybody minded their own business, the world would go around a great deal faster than it does.” 


“Why it's simply impassible!
Alice: Why, don't you mean impossible?
Door: No, I do mean impassible. (chuckles) Nothing's impossible!”  


“Curiouser and curiouser.” 


“No, no! The adventures first, explanations take such a dreadful time.”  


“The Mad Hatter: "Would you like some wine?"
Alice: "Yes..."
The Mad Hatter: "We haven't any and you're too young.” 


“Take some more tea," the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly.
"I've had nothing yet," Alice replied in an offended tone, "so I can't take more."
"You mean you can't take less," said the Hatter: "it's very easy to take more than nothing."
"Nobody asked your opinion," said Alice.” 


“You used to be much more..."muchier." You've lost your muchness.”  (the Mad Hatter)


“Speak in French when you can’t think of the English for a thing--
turn your toes out when you walk---
And remember who you are!”  


“It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards,' says the White Queen to Alice.” 


“Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.” 


“I'd give all the wealth that years have piled,
the slow result of life's decay,
To be once more a little child
for one bright summer day.” 
 


 Alice Liddell, the girl who inspired Lewis Carroll to write "Alice in Wonderland' and "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland"


2 comments:

  1. Lovely collection. I have compiled some quotes from you. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found some quotes you like. Enjoy! =)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome!